Jose Emilio Pacheco

March 10th, 2008

For “No me preguntes como pasa el tiempo (Don’t Ask Me How the Time Goes By)”, I found the general theme of the poetry to be different from the ending.  The start of the poetry seemed to give off a feeling of gloominess and darkness but still giving a hint of hope or happiness.  The ending with the poetry with the titles of animals, however, gave off different feelings.  It used personification and gave metaphors and similes to greatly describe the animals.  The relationship between the speaker and the non-human world seemed to be that off appreciation but also that of cautiousness, telling the reader to take a closer look at the world.  One poem that seemed to stand out to me was “Earth” on page 65.  I like the use of words and how the speaker describes the earth as being composed of all that is dead.  This poem seemed to be one of the darker poems.  For “And So You Go, Never to Come Back”, he continues the theme from before by still using words that pertain to death (dead, dieing, etc) but there are slightly more poems that gives the reader a positive feeling.  In the poem “Niagara Falls” on page 95, the speaker tells of the perpetual waves of water coming down the falls with “From the death of waves spawn others”.  This poem stood out because it was one of the few that told about nature directly and gave off a sense of awe.  Another poem that stood out was “To a girl who died in the sea”.  I enjoyed this poem because it focused on what good can come from death.  With the line ‘Now time which ruins all cannot touch your beauty’, the speaker tells that when the girl died, she will always stay that way.  Her looks, her age, her personality, now set it stone by her death and cannot be changed.  The speaker also tells that her death, although sad, will now make her apart of the sea and she will now contribute to the beauty of the sea.