At first, I was confused on which side Cronon was on.  He told how the wilderness was historically supposed to be a wasteland and deserted.  After saying that, he told of how the wilderness was thought of an ethereal place, where one can find God or just feel in awe to it.  He then wrote how wilderness was being misused in present days, and I agree with that.  We as a whole aren’t doing a whole lot to save the environment.  My friend posted a website on her facebook a couple days ago.  This website tells of the resources we have and use today; how they are taken from the environment, how they are manufactured, how they are distributed about the world,  and how they are consumed and disposed of.  From what I have seen on this site, it is awful at what is happening to wilderness in our world.  I have not had many “wilderness” experiences in my life, because I had little to no true wilderness around me when I was growing up.  My family has only recently gone on vacation to national parks in the United States.  We visited Yellowstone National Park, and it was what I pictured wilderness to be, despite the other humans and roads going throughout the park.  When we visited Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, the vast craters and small patches of trees and grass throughout the lava-torn landscape made me feel so insignificant in this world.  

4 Responses to “Response to William Cronon: “The Trouble with Wilderness””

1. rpigdenfsem said:

I thought it was confusing to. But Cronon’s statement is that the wilderness was created by God and he would want us to keep the beauty he created. He says that we overlook that beauty sometimes and goes back and forth to prove his point.

2. jvickstromfsem said:

I too agree with many of the points you addressed. Cronon’s writing was hard to follow and I lost interest many times. He should have kept his historical recollection of wilderness shorter so that his actual points were more direct and easier to understand. I also appreciate how you went to an outside source, it made your response all the more interesting.

3. mmyersfsem said:

As far as the confusion, it seemed to me that Cronon was just explaining the previous perception of nature and how it has morphed over the ages up through the idea of the “Frontier”. I like your use of a link, and when you mentioned how at the end you felt “insignificant”, that also relates back to the humility and humbling factor Cronon touches upon and what we metioned in class. I can also relate to the feeling that my life is a small parcel compared to what the earth is in its entirety.

4. Dan said:

The reason Cronon spent so much time on the history of wilderness is because all of his other points rely upon wilderness being a purely human construction. The changing concepts of wilderness prove that.

Cronon’s main point is that the current idea of wilderness as something outside of humans facilitates environmental irresponsibility. Because we have cordoned off areas (such as cities) we view as “ruined” by humans, we don’t feel the need to take care of that area, only to mitigate it with “pristine” wilderness areas.